History of the 602 Squadron
Rolls-Royce and the 2175 ATC Cadets form first Museum at Hillington
The initial 602 museum was constructed with Rolls-Royce Plc permission and expertise and knowledge along with the involvement of the 2175 ( Rolls-Royce ) ATC cadets at Hillington. The artifacts and display material was also gathered by the cadets under the leadership of Flt. Lft. William ( Bill ) McConnell at that time the C.O. for the cadets. Rolls-Royce Heritage Scottish branch gave on long term loan a civilian version of a Merlin engine which powered the Spitfire aircraft used by 602. In all, over 50,000 Merlin engines were manufactured between 1940 and 1945 at the Hillington facility where Bill McConnell was a personnel manager.
The museum was formally opened on Saturday 22nd October 1983 by The Marshal of the Royal Air Force - The Lord Cameron of Balhousie GCB CBE DSO DFC AE Hon LLd.
Museum moves to new premises with Royal Highland Fusiliers
The museum was on the move in 2004 as Rolls-Royce was moving to a new facility at Inchinnan and with the help of Major William Shaw at the RHF a new museum was created with the help from Rolls - Royce Plc Inchinnan which we still continue to receive their assistance today. The artefacts are on display in the McConnell room which is in honour of our past President William ( Bill ) McConnell.
The new museum was reopened by Group Captain R.G. ( Bob ) Kemp QVRM AE ADC R Aux.AF - Inspector Royal Axiliary Air Force on 23 November 2005 at a formal ceremony at the RHF at which he presented the museum with a P11 Magnetic Compass which is on display.