History of the 602 Squadron
Post War Activity
With the reactivation of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force, No. 602 was reformed as a day fighter squadron on the 10th of May 1946 at RNAS Abbotsinch. The Royal Navy took control of Abbotsinch in 1943 and renamed it HMS Sanderling. It never reverted to the Royal Air Force. The Spitfire gave way to De Havilland Vampire jets in January 1951. The same year also saw all the Auxiliaries mobilised for the Korean War.
Disbandment - 1957
It was expected that the new Hawker Hunter would replace the ageing Vampire but the switch was never made as all of the Auxiliaries were disbanded in March 1957. In addition, 602's compatriots at Abbotsinch, Nos. 1830 and 1843 Squadrons, the Scottish Air Division , RNVR and 1967 Flight of No. 666 Air Observation Post Squadron, would also be disbanded.